Here’s how the groups break down for the tournament (FIFA world ranking in parentheses):
Group E: Great Britain (9), New Zealand (24), Cameroon (52), Brazil (4)
Group F: Japan (3), Canada (7), Sweden (5), South Africa (65)
Group G: USA (1), France (6), Colombia (28), Korea DPR (8)
Some quick thoughts about the groups:
* Out of the top 4 teams, Brazil received probably the best draw by avoiding an early matchup with the USWNT, Japan, Sweden or France. Their biggest challenger will be the hosts, Great Britain.
* Oh Canada. What a draw for our neighbors to the north. Japan and Sweden makes for a tough, tough draw for Canada.
* In Group G, the USWNT will have some work ahead of them. Of course, their biggest challenger is the very talented France.
* Most anticipated match: USA vs. France
* Team to watch out for: France. Throw the FIFA rankings out the window. While everyone will be talking about the USWNT and Japan, France is poised to have an excellent tournament and will definitely be contenders for a medal.
* Player to watch: Alex Morgan, USWNT. Morgan was a part-time player at last year’s Women’s World Cup. Entering the Olympics, Morgan will now be a starter and with that responsibility will come huge expectations. We’ll have to wait and say how she does but I anticipate a tremendous Olympics for the 22-year-old.